the national billmonitor mobile report
Are you one of the 76% on the wrong contract?
Analyse your mobile bills with billmonitor and find out.
- 76% of UK mobile subscribers waste £4.899 billion on the wrong mobile contracts
- Just 5% of UK post-pay customers are responsible half the total spend on average
- The truth about how the UK uses its mobiles
The national billmonitor report provides a unique, in-depth analysis of each of these issues, as discovered from real mobile post-pay customer bills
The report is based on the analysis of 28,417 anonymised mobile phone bills and their usage is compared against 8,530,118 mobile phone contracts available in the UK in March 2011.
billmonitor presents: The wrong contract problem
Chapter 1 – UK mobile subscribers waste £4.899 billion per year
- 76% of UK post-pay customers are on the wrong contract, wasting on average £194.71 each per year
- 52% of those on the wrong contract are on a tariff that's too large for them, using on average just one quarter of their monthly calling allowance
- 29% of those on the wrong contract are on too small a tariff, wasting money on out of allowance calls, texts, data usage as well as other costs that could be reduced with a larger tariff
- 19% have the right level of inclusive minutes but are wasting money by not optimising free benefits, data & text allowances as well as other costs, or taking advantage of lower costs from 24 month contracts
- billmonitor commentary: Why do these problems exist?
Chapter 2 - £3.47 billion spent on charges outside of allowance, despite customer restraint
- 82% spend on overages, but just 5% of all post-pay customers are responsible for 50% of the total spend
- £1.36 billion spent on roaming calls, texts and data usage
- £719 million spent on premium calls and texts
- £502 million spent on international calls and texts
- £484 million spent on local calls out of allowance
- £173 million spent local data use out of allowance
- billmonitor commentary: Why so much is paid by so few, advice on roaming and international calls and the premium paradox
Chapter 3 – When and how the UK uses its mobiles
- When do we use our mobiles on an average day and for what usage?
- Do men use their mobiles differently from women?
- Do we text or call more?
- How does average call length change throughout the day?
- What day of the week do we call most often?
- When do we call to say good night?
- All this and much more.