join the team
Be a pivotal developer in a small but highly skilled team, choosing technologies and applying your diverse skills to an innovative analytics platform.
Location: Oxford. You’ll be working in our offices in the heart of Oxford, and occasionally from home when it is more productive.
We are disrupting how people and businesses make purchasing decisions. Our Billmonitor service has analysed over 1 million bills so far, helping people make informed choices based on their data. We’re now focussed on our new service, Billmonitor for Business, and we need great developers to help create a fully automated, scalable solution.
You will be actively involved in all aspects of our analytics product; from integrating new data sources, to continually improving the efficiency and accuracy of our backend systems, to improving our deployment processes. Ideally you'd also be comfortable dabbling in front-end web development.
For this you'll get to work with the best, in a respectful and professional environment of continuous improvement. You'll choose the right tools for the job, with good pay and enough equity to dwarf your salary if we get it right. We value creativity, adaptability and quiet precision and are looking for people who will enjoy working in a rigorous analytical culture.
Skills & Requirements
Solid grasp of Python, including web/application development
Strong full-stack web development experience in a similar backend language (e.g. Ruby/JS), with a demonstrable interest in learning Python
- A passion for applying best software development practices
- BSc (2.1 or above) in a numerate field e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Physics
- Rigour — demonstrable analytical skills
- Strong communication skills and an ability to work well in a team
Mostly, though, you'll enjoy working in a "Lean Startup" culture in a tightly knit team, embracing change and thinking creatively, then implementing with extreme precision and unusual skill. You'll have at least a couple of years of commercial heavy lifting under your belt.
- Previous experience in building and maintaining scalable, robust and high-availability web services
- AWS (we use boto) and Docker
- MongoDB, memcached and MySQL administration
- Webdev skills: AngularJS / Ruby on Rails / NodeJS / CSS3 / HTML5 / design
- Test Driven Development (we use unittest, nosetest) and Continuous Integration (we use Jenkins)
- Competitive salary
- Equity options
- Company laptop
- 25 days of holiday
- Flexible work schedules
- Free coffee
- Delicious team lunches sampled from all the offerings of central Oxford
- Annual training budget
About Optimor Ltd
Optimor is an atypical dev shop, drawing on advanced research at Oxford University (two professors of statistics show us how it should be done), with superb engineering and a working ethos of Lean/Kanban continuous improvement. We value craftsmanship, agility and careful professionalism, avoiding waste and "overburden".
Our current software development lifecycle gives us a Joel Test score of 10/12 — and we'd like your help to improve it.
Is this what you're after? Then please send us a summary at firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why it appeals, and what you can offer. Expect it to be read by busy programmers, so please be succinct.