join the team
Be a pivotal developer in a small but highly skilled team, choosing technologies and applying your diverse skills to an innovative analytics platform.
Location: Oxford. You’ll be working in our offices in the heart of Oxford, and occasionally from home when it is more productive.
We are disrupting how people and businesses make purchasing decisions. Our Billmonitor service has analysed over 1 million bills so far, helping people make informed choices based on their data. We’re now focussed on our new service, Billmonitor for Business, and we need great developers to help create a fully automated, scalable solution.
For this you'll get to work with the best, in a respectful and professional environment of continuous improvement. You'll choose the right tools for the job, with good pay and enough equity to dwarf your salary if we get it right. We value creativity, adaptability and quiet precision and are looking for the right people to expand our team.
To join us you'll need exceptionally strong Python skills and enjoy working in a rigorous analytical culture. A keen interest in full-stack development would be great to see. You'll be involved with all facets of our software.
Skills & Requirements
- Solid grasp of Python including familiarity with Python idioms and anti-patterns
- BSc (2.1 or above) in a numerate field e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Physics
- Rigour — demonstrable analytical skills
- Presentation and communication skills
Mostly, though, you'll enjoy working in a "Lean Startup" culture in a tightly knit team, embracing change and thinking creatively, then implementing with extreme precision and unusual skill. You'll have at least a couple of years of commercial heavy lifting under your belt.
- Previous experience in building and maintaining scalable, robust and high-availability web services
- AWS (we use boto) and Docker
- MongoDB, memcached and MySQL administration
- Webdev skills: AngularJS / Ruby on Rails / NodeJS / CSS3 / HTML5 / design
- Test Driven Development (we use unittest, nosetest) and Continuous Integration (we use Jenkins)
- Competitive salary
- Equity options
- Company laptop
- 25 days of holiday
- Flexible work schedules
- Free coffee
- Delicious team lunches sampled from all the offerings of central Oxford
- Annual training budget
About Optimor Ltd
Optimor is an atypical dev shop, drawing on advanced research at Oxford University (two professors of statistics show us how it should be done), with superb engineering and a working ethos of Lean/Kanban continuous improvement. We value craftsmanship, agility and careful professionalism, avoiding waste and "overburden".
Our current software development lifecycle gives us a Joel Test score of 10/12 — and we'd like your help to improve it.
Is this what you're after? Then please send us a summary at email@example.com explaining why it appeals, and what you can offer. Expect it to be read by busy programmers, so please be succinct.